Sunday, February 17, 2008

Woods-Ray Wedding 1922

Miss Ethel Woods Bride of Dr. Ray

One of the prettiest and most interesting weddings in Caswell county, N. C. for several years was that at 9 o'clock Saturday at the Methodist Episcopal church South, at Purley which united Miss Ethel Graham Woods, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel G. Woods, and Dr. Frank L. Ray well known surgeon of Charlotte, N. C., the Rev. A. J. Hobbs pastor of the church being the celebrant. The impressive and beautiful ceremony was witnessed by a large congregation many coming from distant points. The wedding was followed by an informal reception at the residence of the bride's parents.

While the guests were assembling Mrs. Basil Boyd, of Charlotte, N. C. a sister of the bride gowned in black lace, sang beautifully "Oh, Fair, Oh' Sweet and Holy."

Soon afterward the strains of the wedding march from Tannhauser heralded the procession of the bridal party in this order. The ushers - Graham Hatchett, of Yanceyville, N. C., John A. Woods, of Purley, Norman Taylor, of Danville, Va. and Charles Dailey of Wilson, N. C. who assumed their positions before the alter-rail then the dame-of-honor, Mrs. William H. Stone, III, of Greensboro, N. C., gowned in blue sequin with corsage of rosebuds and entering by the left isle and alone, next the maid-of honor, Miss Myrtle Fox Woods, sister of the bride gowned in orchid taffeta with ribbon train and carrying a half-shower of rainbow sweet peas also entering alone by the left aisle, then the little ring-bearer Master Harry Clay Slade, Jr., clad in white satin and bearing the ring in a bursting rose, next the flower-girl little Miss Lucy Paylor Carter dainty in a frock of white organdie and strewing rose-petals in the pathway to be trod by the bride. Then came the moment of expectancy, the appearance of the bride, who entered on the arms of her father, Samuel G. Woods who later gave her in marriage. The bride's wedding gown was of Spanish lace over crepe, with court train and silk-tulle veil caught with orange blossom. Her only ornament was a string of pearls, the gift of the bridegroom. Her bouquet was a shower of lilies of the valley and Bride rosebuds.

The bridegroom, who entered from a side door on the arm of his best man, Shell Jones, of Wake Forest, N. C., met the bride and her father before the officiating clergyman and the familiar words of the wedding service were soon said, vows exchanged and a benediction invoked, closing the ceremony.

Miss Lillie Mae Voss, of Danville directed the music for the wedding.

The bride's mother, Mrs. Samuel G. Woods, was handsomely gowned in black lace and wore a corsage of violets.

Those attending the reception at the home of the bride's parents immediately after the ceremony included the wedding party and guests from a distance, among whom were Mrs. Basil Boyd, of Charlotte, N. C., Miss F. Burton Turberville, Milton, N. C., Miss Helen Dailey, Wilson, N. C., Norman Taylor, of Danvile, Va., Shell Jones, Wake Forest, N. C., Charles Dailey, Wilson, N. C., Mrs. William H. Stone, Greensboro, Miss Annie D. Connally, Mr. and and Mrs. W. N. Ruffin, Jr., Mrs. Will Slade and Misses Virginia and Howard, of Danville, Va.

The bride and bridegroom left at midnight for a trip to New York and other points for a wedding journey. In a little more than two weeks they will be home at Charlotte, N. C., where Dr. Ray is a successful surgeon. The bride is a graduate of the Memorial Hospital training school for nurses at Richmond, Va. and has been greatly admired for her beauty and amiability.

Source: The Bee (Danville, Virginia) 20 March 1922(Page 2) [click on newspaper article for larger image]


No comments:

Post a Comment