Monday, June 21, 2010

Milton Chronicle 1862

From The Greensborough Patriot (April 17, 1862 – Pg. 1)

"Two precious Scamps."

When the Milton Blues left here last April for the war they were joined by a couple of good looking Yankees, named Streeter and Dunton. The first of these scamps professed to have been born in Ga., where he said his parents resided. He came here selling a book called “Cotton Is King,” and if he is not a genuine blue bellied Down cast yankee he has the twang. Dunton came about here peddling on Sewing Machines, and looked like he might be kin to the nigger; he was, however intelligent and polite. Well, this prepares us to remark that these two scamps eloped from camp at Todd’s Point, to parts unknown last week, but the impression is that they slipped over to Newport News, where they no doubt emptied a big budget of news, touching our forces, &c. Some of the Blues always mistrusted these scamps, (particularly Lt. Hunt,) while others thought them sound and reliable. – Milton Chronicle.

Lt. Hunt

Druggist. Enlisted 1862 at age 25. Elected 1st Lt. 24 Apr 1861 and Capt. on 26 Apr 1862. Present or accounted for until wounded at Gaines Mill, VA on or about 27 June 1862. Returned to duty prior to 1 Nov 1862. Present or accounted for until he resigned on 2 June 1863 upon appointment as Major on the staff of Major General William D. Pender. Served as mayor of Milton about 27 years, died at 80 years of age. Buried near Semora in the Thornton cemetery. Married Signora Thornton, lived in Milton at Fairview. [brother of Eustace Hunt].

The captain of the Milton Blues (Company C) was James T. Mitchell, thirty-three, formerly a mechanic. When the regiment was reorganized in April 1862, he was not re-elected captain, so he transferred in rank to Company B, 59th Regiment, also composed of Caswell men. Mitchell was succeeded by Leonard H. Hunt, 26, former druggist, who served until June 1863, when he was promoted to major and assigned to the staff of Major General William D. Pender. William W. Rainey, twenty-four, former farmer, became captain of the company in 1863 but was fatally wounded at Gettysburg. Drillmaster Thomas C. Evans, twenty-four, was elected to succeed Rainey and was with the company at the Appomattox surrender in 1865.


No comments:

Post a Comment