Friday, June 25, 2010

John B. (Jack) Taylor

(click on photograph for larger image)

John B. “Jack” Taylor, Nexsen, Pruet LLC (Charlotte, North Carolina). Born Oct. 4, 1937, in Caswell County; bachelor’s from N.C. State University and law degree from UNC Chapel Hill; wife, two daughters and seven grandchildren. Though I went to college to be an engineer, I have always felt that I would have loved being a high-school football coach and science or history teacher. My mother was a teacher and a businesswoman, and education was the family’s No. 1 priority. As a young associate in a Greensboro law firm, I received a call from Jack Blythe of Blythe Construction, a large contractor in Charlotte. He asked whether I would be interested in joining the company as in-house counsel, allowing me the opportunity to utilize my dual degrees in engineering and law. That began an eight-year hands-on training period toward becoming a construction lawyer.

My most memorable case was the installation of a large-diameter sewer line under Meeting Street in Charleston, S.C. My passions are working on and driving vintage British sports cars, especially Austin-Healeys. My favorite book is The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. My favorite place is my garage. It is meticulously organized (unlike my desk at work), and there are no deadlines. My heroes are my father; Winston Churchill, for his unwavering resolve and determination; and my high-school football coach, who taught me to never quit. Don't ask me to do something halfway.
_______________

Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment