Wilson-Austin-Mehaffey House (Milton, North Carolina)
Built around 1870, this elegant Victorian house was known for many years as the Dr. Wilson House. The 1880s expansion of the front of the house incorporated a variety of Victorian features including shingled gables above fanciful wood brackets along the eaves, a balcony and side stoop adorned with decorative woodwork and brackets, and a generous two-story, wrap-around porch supported by Doric columns with dentil moldings along the cornice. The entrance is graced by a double-leafed door surrounded by a transom with sidelights which leads into a side hall featuring a partition of Ionic columns with scroll and garland motifs. Many original features remain including woodwork, plaster, wainscoting, paneled doors and hardware. Decorative tile surrounds the elegant mantels in the parlor, dining room and bedrooms. The mahogany parlor mantel has a beveled mirror with ornate columns. The beautiful full length windows leading from the parlor to the front porch and side balcony instill daylight into the rooms. The handsome staircase features decorative stair brackets and newel post.