Sunday, August 05, 2012

Albert Atkinson Pattillo (1819 - c.1870)

Captain Albert Atkinson Pattillo (1819 - bef. 1870-1875)

The title "Captain" was given to Albert Atkinson Pattillo during the Civil War. Company K, Second Regiment, Home Guard, in which men from both Person County and Caswell, was formed on October 19, 1864, with Captain A. A. Pattillo in command of Company K. The records of this regiment are lost. At the Foot of the Lake: The Pattillo-Patillo Family and Allied Lines, Millard Quentin Plumblee (1987) at 94.

The letter transcribed below was addressed to: Thos Bigelow Esq. Yanceyville Caswell N. C.
_____________

Wilks County, GA Dec 28th 1849

Uncle Thos [Thomas Pattillo Bigelow]

Dear Sir:

I am operating in the same region of country where I sold last spring. The country is full of negros, however not so many in this immediate neighborhood. All those I sold here have turned out well, except Lucinda Ginnie. Her owner has traded her off at considerable sacrifice. The people here say they believe in me, and I am fixing to sell them negros at high prices. Sold a girl this morning 12 years well grown and likely 675$. Cost 405$. I have been offered 850$ for Matthew 18 years, weighs 155 lbs, am asking 950$, expect to get 900$. Have been offered for boy 9 years weighs 60 lbs 400$ cash 200$. Such boys are bringing from 400$ 500$. Here have been offered 800$ for woman and boy which cost 450$ -- all the offers I have had. Negros are in demand and are selling well. Good young men are selling from 850$ to 1000$. Good grown girls 650$ - 750$ according to appearance. I saw a trader yesterday who sold 2 girls at 750$ each and says not so likely as mine. Good plough boys weighing 80 lbs are selling from 650 to 725$.  and C and C

Robin King’s son is in Washington with 6 or 8 negros. I have not seen him yet to hear how he is doing. I at camp 6 miles from town -- at my old stand.

The old Gentleman who bought Calvin says he would not take 1000$ for him and is negotiating with me for 5 others. I shall sell for 1600$ over first cost if no accident happens. I hope to be at home by the middle of February. I will remit you some money in a few days and then write to you more fully.  and C

Boys and young men are more in demand just here than any other kind. You are not apprised of the fact that the law relative to the slave trade in this state has been repealed. My friends say I escaped narrowly last spring. and c  and c I wrote to my wife yesterday -- please let her know you received news from me for fear my letter may not reach her.

All are well and C and C

Very Respectfully
A. A. Pattillo [Albert Atkinson Pattillo]

PS Please say to Capt. James Poteat that I applied for his claim in Lawrenceville, [but] failed to get it [as a] consequence of the lawyer's absinse [absence] -- he is a member of S. C. Legislature. I will attend to it on my return if I should go that way.

A.A.P.

It is a mistaken notion that the crop of cotton in Georgia is short. It is unusually good here. I am informed better than last year. A gentleman told me yesterday his crop would bring him 10,000$ 200 bags and C

While not confirmed, it is possible that the Robin King's son mentioned in the letter is William David King (son of Robin King and Sallie Badgett King). He was one of the founders of the Old Rock Academy in Caswell County. William David King married Ann Howard. Among their children was Cary Howard (Cap) King (1864-1959), who served on the Caswell County School Board, Board of County Commissioners, and represented Caswell County in the North Carolina Senate.The wife of Albert Atkinson Pattillo was Elizabeth Ann Dodson Pattillo, born 1821 in Caswell County to Matthew Dodson and Prudence Pinnix Dodson. Albert Atkinson Pattillo and Elizabeth Ann Dodson Pattillo had eight children. Their house in Yanceyville eventually was owned by John W. Stephens, who was murdered by the Ku Klux Klan in 1870. Subsequently, it was used as the first Yanceyville school for African-American children.The Capt. James Poteat mentioned probably is Captain James Poteat (1807-1889). He built "Forest Home" just northeast of Yanceyville, and was the father of Dr. William Louis Poteat (long-time President of Wake Forest University). Whether the claim referenced in the letter had to do with the slave trade is not known. However, Captain James Poteat did own many slaves.More on the Bigelow, Pattillo, King, Dodson, and Poteat families can be found at the Caswell County Family Tree,