Wednesday, August 11, 2010

John Boswell (c.1691-1740): Will

Transcription of John Boswell's will from Spotsylvania County, Virginia Wills vol. A, page 321:

In the name of God Amen the tenth day of January in the year of our Lord 1740. I John Boswell of St. Georges Parish in the County of Spotsylvania being very sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God. Therefore calling the mortality of my body & knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make & ordain this my last will and testament, that is to say:

Principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul to God that gave it and for my body I recommend it to the earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner at the discretion of my Executors, nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same by the mighty power of God, and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life I give and devise and dispose of the same in the manner and form following.

Imprimis I give and bequeath to my eldest daughter Dorothy Boswell when she shall arrive at the age of eighteen years or on the day of marriage, one Negro man named Allin.

Item I give and bequeath to my youngest daughter Frances Boswell when she shall arrive at the age of eighteen years or on the day of marriage, one Negro woman named Cate.

Item I give and bequeath to my sons Ransom Boswell, John Boswell, George Boswell, James Boswell nine hundred and eighty acres of land equally to be divided amongst them.

Item For the rest of my estate I leave it for the instruction and education of my younger children to be turned to their use after the best manner.

Item I devise that the Court may bind my three eldest sons when they shall arrive at the age of fifteen years to the following trades: Ransom and John Boswell to a joyner and carpenter and George Boswell to a blacksmith.

Item I give and bequeath to Ann my beloved wife (whom I likewise constitute, make and ordain with Ransom my eldest son my only and sole Executrix and Executor), one Negro man named James.

And I hereby utterly disallow, revoke and disanull all and every other former testam., wills and legacies, requests and executors by me in any ways before this time named, willed and bequeathed, ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day above written.

I also devise that my estate may not be administered upon.

Signed, sealed, published, pronounced and declared by the s’d John Boswell as his last will & testament in the presence of us.
_______________

The deposition of William Bicknell, aged about twenty seven years being sworn deposeth:

That on Friday the ninth day of February MDCCXL he was devised by John Boswell to write his last will and testament; that this deponent then wrote the will or writing in Court, produced in the presence and by the directions of the s’d Boswell, and after the same was wrote, this deponent read the same to the s’d Boswell who said the same would do; that at the time of writing the same the s’d Boswell was in his perfect sense and memory to the last of this deponent’s knowledge and belief; that before he could get witnesses to see him publish the same as his last will and testament he was taken senseless and further this deponent saith not.

William Bicknell

Sworn to in Court
April 7th 1741

At a Court held for Spotsylvania County on Tuesday May the 5th 1741 the within will and deposition being exhibited in court and Ann Boswell one of the Ex’rs therein named proved the said will and it is admitted to record.

Test John Waller Clk. Court
_______________

Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment