The North Carolina General Assembly in March 1883 incorporated the Yanceyville Grand United Order of Benelovence, Number Ten. Those named in the charter were A. L. Johnson, W. H. Mebane, J. B. Graves, Frank Brandon, James Johnson, and Marshall Louis Graves. The purpose of the Order was described in the charter as being "to secure relief for the sick and distressed, to provide for the widow and fatherless in their afflictions, to bury the dead and elevate the living, and to spread the true spirit of charity and love to all within its healing influence."
Source: When the Past Refused to Die: A History of Caswell County North Carolina 1777-1977, William S. Powell (1977) at 426.