Thursday, December 27, 2007

John Wilson (1796-1875)

(click photograph for larger image)

The above photograph is of John Wilson (1796-1875) of Milton, North Carolina. On 6 December 1821 he married Anne Smith (1802-1838). They had at least five children. One son was John Wilson, Jr., who became a physician. He often is confused with his father who was a merchant and planter, but not a medical doctor.

Another wife of John Wilson was Penelope Campbell (1816-1870). Two children resulted.

Another wife was Margaret McPheeton, with no children.

Around 1830, John Wilson built on Broad Street in Milton, North Carolina, what has become known as the Winstead House. Apparently, the house is remembered more for the family of its second owner, Edward D. Winstead (1852-1925), who owned a tobacco factory, roller mill, and cotton gin, all in Milton. His son, Colin Neblett Winstead (1885-1956) also lived in the house.

(click photograph for larger image)

The following is from An Inventory of Historic Architecture: Caswell County, North Carolina, Ruth Little-Stokes and Tony P. Wrenn (1979) at 222:

Photo 357. Winstead House, ca. 1830, two-story Flemish bond brick house of restrained transitional Federal-Greek Revival design on the exterior, and delicate, slightly eccentric Classical Revival interior trim, including an open-string, ramped stair and columned mantels that have the stamp of local cabinetmaker Thomas Day [whose shop is across the street]. The impact of the exterior is compromised by the two-story 20th century porch. A free-standing contemporary 1.5-story brick kitchen at the rear retains much original interior trim.


No comments:

Post a Comment