Sunday, June 18, 2006
Yanceyville Stores (1960's)
Yanceyville Stores (1960's)
[click on photo for larger image]
Here are three well-known Yanceyville business establishments that no longer are in operation. From left to right: Yanceyville Drug Company (the "Drug Store"); Pope's Five-Cent Store (the "Dime Store"); and Caswell Motor Company (the "Ford Dealership").
Only the Caswell Motor Company building remains standing. The Drug Store and Dime store (along with the Bank of Yanceyville building) were demolished to make way for a modern bank.
Dr. Thomas Ham built the Drug Store, which included a second-floor apartment in which he and Mrs. Ham lived for many years.
The following if from The Heritage of Caswell County, North Carolina, Jeannine D. Whitlow, Editor (1985) at 641:
Born in Richmond, Va., Aug. 22, 1896, son of Thomas Jones and Ida Virginia Cogbill Ham, Thomas Jones Ham, Jr., was educated at John Marshall High, University of Richmond, and the Medical College of Virginia, where he took his degree in pharmacy.
Tom Ham, afterwards to be known as "Dr." Ham, came to Yanceyville in 1922 and took over the drug stock and trade of the late Nat Brandon. He built the brick Yanceyville Drug Store adjoining the now-razed Florance building soon after his marriage in 1926 to Miss Margaret Dawson, formerly of Yellow Springs, Ohio, and late a successful business woman in Durham, N.C. The Hams lived above the drugstore and Yanceyville will remember as a landmark the graceful iron balcony of their apartment. When their adopted son, Rober, had graduated from U.N.C. in pharmacy and married, "Dr." and Mrs. Ham turned over their apartment to the newly-weds and moved to a two-story brick home which they built in east Yanceyville. Several years ago, the drugstore was torn down to make room for the Wachovia Bank and the Yanceyville Drug Store was moved to its spacious quarters on the corner of Main and Greensboro St. by "Dr.' Ham's successors, Tom and Joe Davis who continue to serve the community.
The Hams are remembered for their leadership and support of Yanceyville United Methodist Church and many other community activities. T. J. Ham was also an officer in the State Pharmaceutical Association and served on many boards and committes until his death May 21, 1967; his wife succumbed July 28, 1971 and both are buried in the Methodist Church Cemetery here.
For years Popes Dime Store was operated by Sally Pyron Reagan (1909-1999).
And, of course the Caswell Motor Company Ford dealership was owned by John Oliver (Johnnie) Gunn:
John Oliver Gunn was born in Pelham, NC he was a son of Richard Griffin Gunn and Nannie Rudd. He was a farmer and an auntomobile dealer for 46 years and spent four terms in the N.C. House of representative from Caswell in 1945-1957, 1965 and 1967. He was the chairman of the Caswell County, Democratic Executive Committee from 1942-1945 and served as trasurer for Caswell County from 1936-1940. He also served on a number of other committees in Caswell County. He was a charter member of the N.C. Automobile Dealer's Association and the yanceyville Rotary Club, where he served as president.
He served as secretary of the Caswell Development Company as director and secretary of the Royal Hosiery Mills, and vice president and member of the executive committee of the Bank of Yanceyville. He was also a member of the Caswell Brotherhood Lodge No 11 of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Oasis Temple Shrine, the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemansonry, the Order of the Eastern Star No 239 and the junior Order United American Mechanics. He was also active in the Boy Scouts and was a national and regional representative. He was a member of the Yanceyville Methodist Church.
Please share what you know about these businesses, buildings, and the people associated with them.