Thursday, February 16, 2023

An 1875 Trip Through Caswell County by an International Organisation of Good Templars Lecturer

For the Spirit of the Age.
A Trip Through Caswell County,
Leasburg, Caswell Co.,
November 6th, 1875

Editor of the Age:

After leaving Wilson Saturday night last, I remained over in Goldsboro the Sabbath, heard a fine sermon by Rev. J. R. Brooks, dined with him and in the evening took the cars for Greensboro -- travelled with Rev. Mr. Willis as my companion from Raleigh to Hillsboro -- reached Greensboro at 2 o'clock -- took the Danville cars for Barksley Station -- reached this station at 7 o'clock, a.m., -- hired a horse and reached

Milton

at 11 o'clock safe. Immediately upon my arrival, I was taken in charge by Bros. Holder and Hines.

At night, I lectured to a fine audience in the Presbyterian church. At the close of the lecture several names were obtained for membership in Dawn of Hope Lodge. the Lodge met at their usual place of meeting and the candidates were initiated. This Lodge is in a fine healthy condition, with good, substantial officers.

After leaving Milton on Monday I visited

Pelham,

lectured at night in the Methodist church to a good audience -- and afterwards initiated two new members in the Lodge. Pelham Lodge is in good hands."

Wednesday morning I rode Bro. Pierce's horse [from Pelham], with a little boy behind me with my valase [sic], a distance of ten miles, until I reached the residence of Samuel Harrison, Esq., formerly representative in the State Legislature from Caswell county -- dined with him -- and after dinner he kindly took me to

Yanceyville.

At night, I lectured to the citizens of Yanceyville, in the new Court House. Several were initiated into this Lodge at the close of the public meeting. Yanceyville Lodge continues to flourish. It is in the hands of such men as Capt. Jordan, J. A. Long, Esq., Dr. Allen Gunn, Col. Pinnix, and a host of other good men.

Before leaving Yanceyville I visited in the Court House in which Mr. Stevens [John Walter Stephens] was found murdered in 1870. I found the following lines written with a pencil, by Hon. Josiah Turner, while confined in the same room as a prisoner during the kuklux days:

"The love of liberty with life is given,
And life itself, -- the inferior gift of heaven."
August 13, '70
"Established violence and lawless might
Avowed and hallow'd by the name of right."
Aug. 10, '70.
Josiah Turner, Jr., Prisoner

During my stay in Yanceyville, I was the guest of Dr. Allen Gunn.

On Friday the rain prevented my trip to

Leasburg,

but Saturday morning was clear and beautiful, and through the kindness of Bro. Jordan I reached this place in time for dinner.

Notice was given through the town that I would lecture at the Methodist church at night. Accordingly the meeting was held, and after the lecture the Lodge was called to order when the unwritten work of the order was exemplified. Leasburg Lodge is working finely. Bro. Paylor, the Worthy Chief Templar, is regularly at his post.

This closes my trip through Caswell. There are four Lodges of Good Templars in Caswell County, and all are doing well. I have just heard that Bro. Henry T. Jordan has made an appointment for me to lecture at Mt. Pisgae, in Person County, on Monday. Tomorrow I go to Roxboro.

. . . .

I am filling all my appointments. Crowds turn out to hear the temperance question discussed. Men of prominence in all parts of the State are being enlisted under our banner, and in a little while victory will perch on its beautiful folds,

Yours fraternally,

Theo. N. Ramsay,

State Lecturer

Spirit of the Age (Raleigh, NC), 13 November 1875.



The "Spirit of the Age" described itself as: the "Official Organ of the Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars of North Carolina." The weekly newspaper was published in Raleigh. It apparently was launched in the early 1870s. However, for how long it was published is not known. The price was $1 per year in advance. Proprietor: John Armstrong. Publisher: W. J. Edwards. Office in the room lately occupied by the Geological Museum, over North Carolina Book Store.

The Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars of North Carolina was divided into eight districts (apparently the same as existing US Congressional Districts). Caswell County was in the Fifth District, with the following "County Deputies" -- 

98 Yanceyville Lodge, F. A. Pierson

99 Leasburg Lodge, Wm. R. Hambrick

101 Dawn of Hope, Milton, H. W. Hines

102 Pelham, Benj. E. Pierce

Source: Spirit of the Age (Raleigh, NC), 13 November 1875.

The Order adopted regalia and rituals similar to Masons.

No comments:

Post a Comment