Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Genealogy Pet Peeves

Genealogy Pet Peeves (among others)

1. While perhaps beggars should not complain, on this list I include those who share photographs by embedding them in an email message instead of attaching the files. I know how to extract these images, but it requires some technical expertise (converting to html, etc.).

2. Horribly written obituaries. I understand the stress family members are under when providing even the basics for publication and blame more the publishing editors who do a hatchet job on what is provided.

3. Those who post on Facebook (and elsewhere) just wonderful images and stories and assume all can identify the people. Please, just provide the basic information. Who are these people?

4. Due to my extensive online presence I often receive requests for information. I do my best to help. However, what really irritates me is when I spend hours researching for a person only to receive a reply such as: "Oh, I already knew all that." So, when asking for help, please state up front what you already know.

5. Those who refer to their ancestors in the past tense. Example: "He was my uncle." Well, he remains so. That he is dead does negate the family relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment