Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Family of Lewis Washington Graves (1904-1970)


Left to Right:

Dr. Stephen Arnold Malloy (1872-1944)

Mary Louise Poole Graves (1904-2009)

Lewis Washington Graves (1904-1970)

Lewis Washington Graves, Jr. (young boy)
_______________

"That is my Grandmother, Mary Poole Graves and my Grandfather, Louis Graves. My Mom told me they were getting a physical for a home loan. This physical led to the establishment of my families farm on Marshall Graves Rd. The young boy in my Grandfather’s lap is my eldest living Uncle."

Source: David Smith 5 April 2022 Post to Rick Frederick Facebook Page.

The loan came through the Farm Security Administration.
_______________

Photograph Source: Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, Marion Post Wolcott (1940). Dr. S.A. Malloy examining Louis Graves and his family on their front porch. They are FSA (Farm Security Administration) borrowers. Caswell County, North Carolina. Click photograph to see a larger image.
_______________

The Graves family apparently had an earlier association with Dr. Malloy. It named a daughter: Catherine Malloy Graves (1929-2001). Presumably they knew that Dr. Malloy supported the 1900 amendment to the North Carolina constitution that disenfranchised many black North Carolina citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment