Sunday, November 04, 2007

Will of Thomas Kimbrough (1777)

Following is the will of Thomas Kimbrough, signed 25 September 1777, from Red Book A, page 25, Caswell County, North Carolina: December Court, 1777.

In the name of God amen I Thomas Kimbrow of Caswell County and State of North Carolina being Sick and Weak in Body, but of Sound Mind Memory and Understanding, do make and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following. First of all I recommend my Soul to God who gave it,trusting that the same will receive happiness in the World to come through the Merits of our blessed Redeemer Jesus Christ; and my Body to be buried in a Christian like manner at the discretion of my Executors; And as to my Worldly

Estate with which it has pleased Almighty God to bless me in this Life, I dispose of the same in the following manner to wit:


IMPRIMIS, I lend to my beloved Wife Ellianah during her natural Life my Plantation whereon I now live together with the following Negroes to wit, Sam, George, Cate, Lucey and Phebe; also all my Household Furniture, Working Tools, one horse called Sorrel, and Mare called Bonney, one mare called Fly, Eight Cows & Calves, four Ewes & Lambs, three Sows & piggs and Pork out of my Stock to support her and the abovementioned Negroes one year; and after the demise of my said Wife I Will that the Plantation and Land belonging thereto abovementioned be Sold by my Executors hereafter named or the Survivor of them

and the Money arising from such Sale to be equally divided between my Sons John, William, Robert, Thomas & my Daughter Suckey Nowel, to them their heirs and assigns forever. And it is likewise my Will, after the Decease of my said Wife, that the Negroes hereby lent to my Wife and their increase if any (except

one Child Hereafter Will'd to my Son Robert & his Children) together with all the Furniture working tools & Stock which may then remain belonging to my Estate, be equally divided between my Sons John, William, Thomas, Robert and my Daughter Suckey Nowel; to them their Heirs and Assigns forever; But in case my Son Thomas should die without any Heir lawfully begotten of his Body, then my Will is that all such Estate which is or may be divided to him in this Will, be equally divided amongst my several Children abovenamed, to them their heirs and Assigns forever, I hereby empower my said Executors to sell the abovementioned Horse & Mares, & furnish others in their stead, if necessary or required by my said wife.


ITEM, I give to my Son John one hundred & eight acres of Land be the same more or less, Beginning at a Beach on the North side of the South fork of Country line Creek, running thence E. 114 poles to a black Oak, thence South 154 Poles to a poplar, thence W. 114 poles to a White Oak, thence North 154 Poles to the

begining; also one Negro Boy called Britain to him, his Heirs & Assigns forever and it is my Will that he be paid the sum of Fifty three pounds six Shillings & eight pence Proclaim Money out of my Estate which I justly owe him.


ITEM, I give to my Son William one Negroe Boy called Gabe and Eighty pounds Proclamation Money to him his Heirs & Assigns forever.


ITEM, I lend to my Son Robert during his natural Life the Negroe Woman called Lydda, and the first Child which be born of any of the Negroes lent to my Wife, which may live to be Eighteen months old; and after the Decease of my said Son Robert, I Will the said two Negroes Lydda & the Child, together with their increase, to be equally divided amongst my said Son Robert's Children.


ITEM, I Will that the Tract of Land whereon my Son Robert now lives may be saved at the Expense of my Estate & that my Executors furnish my said Son Robert with Money sufficient for that purpose whenever the Land Office shall be opened; and it is further my Will that the said Tract of Land be divided as follows to wit; that twenty five acres adjoining my Son Thomases Land on the North side, be laid off & confirmed to my said Son Thomas his Heirs & Assigns forever; That the remaining part be divided by Michaels Branch, That the Land

on the South side, to belong to my Son Robert, and that, on the North side, to belong to my Son Graves, to them their Heirs & Assigns forever.


ITEM, I give to my Daughter Sarah Brown one Negroe Boy called Ben & Ten pounds proclamation Money to her her Heirs & Assigns Forever.


ITEM, I give to my Daughter Mary Bryant one Negroe Boy called Joe; Five pounds proclamation Money and all the Stock, Household furniture -- now in possession of her and Her husband for which I have a Bill of Sale.


ITEM, I give to my Daughter Betty Bruce one Negroe Girl called Daphney now in her possession, also the sum of Ten pounds proclamation Money to her her Heirs & Assigns forever.


ITEM, I give to my Daughter Nancy Turner one Negroe Boy called Sam and Ten pounds proclamation Money, to her her Heirs and Assigns forever,


ITEM, I give to my Daughter Frankey Carmon during her natural life, one Negroe Girl called Agg which She has now in possession and one Negroe Boy called Davey and after her Demise I will that the said Negroe Girl Agg & her increase (if any) and the said Negroe Boy Davey be equally divided amongst the Children of my said Daughter Frankey Carmon.


ITEM, I give for the support & maintenance of my Son Graves one Negroe Boy called Daniel and one hundred Pounds proc: Money to be placed in the hands of my Son John, which said Negroe & Money, (after the Decease of my son Graves) I Will to my said Son John his Heirs & Assigns forever.


ITEM, I give to my Sons John, William & Thomas all that Estate due to me for my Wifes Legacy or portion, from the Estate of my said Wifes deceas'd Father Thomas Graves, to be equally divided betwixt them.

ITEM, I Will that the remainder part of my Negroes and Stock which is not given & devised in this Will, be sold by my Executors and the Money arising from such Sale be applied towards paying off the several Legacies and other purposes given by this Will.


AND lastly I do Nominate, Constitute & appoint my Sons John and William, whole & Sole Executors of this my last Will and Testament, hereby revoking, and making void all other and former Will and Wills by me heretofore made,


IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my Hand & Affixed my Seal this 25 Day of Sept. 1777.


20 Sep 1777

Signed, Sealed, published, pronounced His and declared by the Testator to be & contain Thomas T Kimbroughhis last Will & Testament, in the presence of us


Mark


who in his presence & in the presence of each other hath subscribed our names as Witnesses

Willliam Gooch The Execution of the above Will ...

Jesse Benton (?) was proved by oaths of William Gooch

and Jesse Benton the witnesses .....

and ... to be recorded.

End if Will

No comments:

Post a Comment