Monday, February 22, 2010

Will of William Gooch, Sr. (1726-1802)

Will of William Gooch, Sr.

Will dated 5 Nov 1801; Will Book D, pp.130132.
Proved Jan Court 1803 Caswell County, North Carolina, Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions
Estate records of William Gooch, 1803, are in File box #29, Call No. C.R. 020.508 (1)-(106) in the NC Dept of Archives & History.
Book D, pages 130-132

January Court 1803 -

In the Name of God Amen I William Gooch Senr of the County of Caswell and State of North Carolina, being in health of body but of sound and disposing mind and Memory thanks be given to God for his Mercies, do constitute Ordain and appoint this to be my last Will and Testament in Manner and form following. To Wit,

Imprimus It is my will and desire that all my Just debts be punctually paid as soon as It may be convenient.

Item I lend unto my beloved Wife Frances Gooch so much of the tract of land and plantation on which I now live, together with the use of one of the rooms of my dwelling House, and the use of the out Houses pertaining thereto, as will be sufficient to support her and her Legacy hereafter mentioned, during her Natural life or Widowhood, and also I lend unto my said Wife Frances Gooch five negroes,

to Wit, One Negroe man Named Cupit, One Negroe Woman Named Dill, and three young Negroes known by the names of Edey, Limon, and Charlotte, Two feather beds and furnitures, Two Head of Horses, four Cows and Calves, Two Ewes and lambs, Two Sows and pigs all of her Own Choice and Hogs to make her a sufficient quantity of Pork to Support her and her family one year after my decease, Together with the Crop which my be made or which my be growing at my decease and all my Household and Kitchen furniture except so Much thereof as may be hereafter Devised during her Natural life or Widowhood, and after her death or Marriage to be equally divided amongst my Twelve Children.

To Wit, William Gooch, James Gooch, David Gooch, Nathaniel Gooch, John Gooch, Thomas Gooch, Mary Sneed, Elizabeth Kimbrough, Nancy Benton, Sarah Rice, Cisley Gooch and Polley Williams, except that my five Oldest Children to Wit, Mary Sneed, Elizabeth Kimbrough, Nancey Benton, and James Gooch, shall each one have so much more of said estate as will be Sufficient to make them equal with my Seven Youngest Children , to Wit Sarah Rice, David Gooch, John Gooch, Cisley Gooch, Nathaniel Gooch, Thomas Gooch and Polley Williams, If they should draw from the estate of John Rice Deceased the Legacy left my Said Wife, by his last Will and Testament; And be It remembered that If It may so happen that the said Legacy should not fall into their hands, then that the said said estate shall be equally divided amongst the Whole of my aforesaid Children.

Item I give and bequeath to my Son William Gooch one feather bed and furniture to him his Heirs and assigns forever.

Item, I Give and bequeath to my son James Gooch Sixty five pounds Virginia Currency to be raised out of my estate after my decease to him His Heirs and assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my Son David Gooch one Shilling Sterling to him his Heirs and assigns forever, he having already received his proportionable part.

Item I Give and bequeath to my son Nathaniel Gooch one Shilling Sterling to him & his Heirs and assigns forever, he having already received his proportionable part.

Item I Give and bequeath to my son John Gooch one Negroe man named Daniel and one negroe boy named Orange, one feather bed & furniture to him his Heirs and assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my Son Thomas Gooch one Negroe man named Abram (alias Hambo) to him his Heirs and Assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Sneed, Widow of John Sneed Deceased one Shilling Sterling to her her Heirs and assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Kimbrough one Shilling Sterling to her her Heirs and assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my daughter Nancey Benton Widow of Jesse Benton Deceased One Shilling Sterling to her her Heirs and assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Rice Wife of William H. Rice, One Negroe Woman Named Delphey to her Her Heirs and assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my Daughter Cisley Gooch one Negroe Girl named Bab, one sorrel Mare and Coult (commonly called Hers) one feather bed and furniture to her Her Heirs and assigns forever.

Item, I Give and bequeath to my Daughter Polley Williams wife of Henry Williams One Shilling Sterling to her Her Heirs and assigns forever.

Item I Give and bequeath to my beloved wife my flock of Geese to her Her Heirs assigns forever.

Item It is my Will and desire that my tract of land containing Two Hundred Acres adjoining the lands of Robert Martin, James Yancey and others, and all my stock of Horses, Cattle, Hogs, Sheep, and other property not already Devised shall be sold by my Executors hereafter named and the money arising therefrom to pay my Just Debts. And the overplus If any to be divided as above Mentioned between my Twelve Children aforesaid.

Lastly I constitute and appoint my beloved Sons William Gooch, David Gooch and John Gooch to be Executors to this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking and disannulling all and every Will or Wills heretofore by me made, ratifying and confirming this to be my only last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal the 5th day of November A Dom. 1801.

Will. Gooch
Seal

Signed Sealed & Acknowledged in presents of

Alex Murphey
Henry Williams

State of North Carolina
Caswell County

The Execution of this Will was duly proved in open Court by the Oath of Alexander Murphey one of the Subscribing Witnesses thereto and on Motion Ordered to be recorded. At the same time William Gooch and David Gooch qualified Executors and Letters Testamentry Issued Accordingly.

Wit
A Murphey Clk
_______________

Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment