Tuesday, October 13, 2009

James T. Mitchell 1864 Letter

Camp Near Petersburg, Virginia
July 16th 1864

Franklin Phillips

Sir I regret very much to inform you of the death of your son. He departed this life on the 7 of the month. He was confined to his bed 17 days. He had all the attention that any man could get. I visited him in his sickness. He was at a private house by the name of Perkins. Mr. & Mrs Perkins was very kind to him, done all in their power for him. He had Typhoid fever. I tried very hard to send his body home but failed, the Gen would not sign a furlough for any body to carry him. I had him decently buried in a good coffin, I attended to it myself. I marked his grave so if you wanted to get his body so you could find it. He had 50 cts in silver & a few postage stamps in his pocket book. Jarrel Powell has his pocket book. The Yankees visited the house while he was there. They stole his hat & some other things. I sent his horse to you the 14th by Mart & all his clothes. I hope they will arrive safe.

Say to his wife that he died in his right mind & expressed a great desire to see her before his died. He said he was willing to die but preferred to die at home. He died very easy like going to sleep without a struggle. Tell her any thing I can do for her in settling up his claims with (the) goverment or in any other way, I will with the greatest pleasure.

Yours with much respect
Jas. T. Mitchell
Capt. Co (B) 4th N.C. Cav

The Captain James T. Mitchell who wrote the foregoing letter is believed to be James Thomas Mitchell (1828-1898), born in Caswell County, North Carolina.