Saturday, October 06, 2007

Thomas Harrison Will (1790)

Caswell County, North Carolina

July Court 1790

In the Name of God, Amen

I, Thomas Harrison, Sr. being sick of body but of sound mind and memory, praise be to God for the same, but calling to mind the uncertainty of life and knowing that all men are mortal, do make and constitute this to be my last will and testament, revoking and undoing all other will or wills heretofore made or caused to be made by me or any other person in my name or manner, the following:

That is to say: Item, It is my will and desire that all my perishable estate be sold and my just debts paid with the money arising by such sale and the balance if any, to be equally divided between my two daughters, Anney Fuqua and Magdalene Harrison to them and their heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath all my lands and tenements contained in a old plot entered in Lord Granville’s Office and surveyed by John Lea, with all the benefits of the entrys of land made in the County of Caswell contained in the bounds of the said plot before mentioned, except such parcels as I have sold and received payment or bonds for the payment thereof. Viz: To James Sanders Esquire, two hundred acres lying on Mayo’s Old Line. To William Stephens three hundred and sixty five acres lying on the head waters of Little Creek surveyed by Hearndon Haralson. To Thomas Jeffreys a certain quantity lying on Bradley’s line, his own and the waters of Little Creek; also a entry of one hundred and seventy acres transferred to William Stephens on order that out of the land he may be entitled to make a deed of conveyance to Jeffreys as he stands my surety for the performance thereof. Which lands before mentioned except such as has been excepted I desire may be laid off in two equal parcels according to quantity and quality which lands so divided I desire that it may be divided in two equal parts which I give unto my two daughters, Anney Fuqua, wife of John Fuqua and Magdalin McDugal to them and their heirs forever. The other half according to the first division I give and bequeath unto my trust friend David Shelton to him and his heirs forever.

Item: It is my will and desire that my executors hereafter mentioned shall make a deed of conveyance of a certain piece of land to Thomas Jeffreys which is bounded as follows: Viz: by the creek, by his own line, by Bradleys line and Cockrans spring branch.

I hereby constitute and my good friend David Shelton of Caswell County my lawful executor to see this my last will and testament duly performed. In witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty third day of May A.D. 1790.

Signed sealed and published in presence of William Draper, Bowler Stephens and Samuel Pittard.

Signed: Thomas Hararison Sr.

The execution of this will was duly proved in open court by the oaths of William Draper, Bowler Stephens and Samuel Pittard, the subscribing witnesses thereto and on motion order to be recorded at the same time. David Shelton qualified as Executor.

Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment