Sunday, August 24, 2008
The following is from From Rabbit Shuffle to Collins Hill: Stories of Southern Caswell County, North Carolina, Millard Quentin Plumblee (1984) at 71-71:
In 1923 and following a statewide movement of consolidating schools, construction began on one in Anderson township on State Highway number 62 about two miles from the Alamance County line. Therein problems arose. Residents of the northern part of the township said that it was too far from the central part of the township. While the building was under construction some of the patrons objected and carried the case to Federal Court in Greensboro. Later the case was dismissed and construction continued.
Naming the new school became a problem. Some wanted to name it "Anderson School," others "McNutt." Both were local families in the township. Alice Tate, a seventh grade student in 1932 wrote an essay about the controversy. In concluding her essay she said "The Andersonites won."
The new building contained eight rooms with an auditorium in the middle and auxiliary rooms to the rear and front. Additions and modifications were made later. The school served both elementary and high school students. Beginning in 1937 an agriculture building was erected and in 1939 a home economics building. In early 1940 a gymnasium was added between the two. At the dedication ceremonies, Oct. 4, 1940, Governor Clyde R. Hoey, State Superintendent Clyde A. Erwin, Vocational Director Thomas E. Brown, and others were present. The chief addresses were by the Governor and State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
In the 1950's a separate high school building was erected on the campus. The principals who served the consolidated school from 1924 to 1931 were Roy Barnett, Preacher Jones, Mr. Barbee, P. E. Shaw, and Holland McSwain. M. Q. Plumblee was principal from 1931 to 1962. In the fall of 1962 the high school students and faculty were consolidated with Bartlett Yancey High School at Yanceyville. M. Q. Plumblee served there as principal from 1962 to 1970 and retired.
Other principals who served at Anderson School from 1962 to 1983 were Ben T. Ross, Gene Riddle, Douglass Gray, Leonard Simmons, and Zane Thornton. In July 1983 Principal Gooding came to the school
October 4, 1940, was a special day set aside in the school program for dedication of the three unit building. All school pupils took part in the community rally. Barbecue dinner was prepared for over seven hundred people. All local government officials were invited. Among the State officials who took part in the program was Governor Clyde R. Hoey, State Superintendent Clyde Erwin, Director of Vocational Education. T. E. Brown, and State Works Progress Administration Director, C. C. McGinnis. Barbecue dinner was served to all local, county, and state officials in the home economics department. Special recognition was given to every person who had helped with the buildings in any way.
Source: "Twelve Years of the Life of Anderson School, Caswell County, North Carolina 1931-43, A Survey" by Millard Quentin Plumblee, 1943. A thesis submitted to the faculty of the University of North Carolina in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts in the Department of Education.
For more Anderson School photographs go to the Caswell County Photograph Collection.