Monday, June 08, 2020

James Peterson Revolutionary War Pension Application Record

James Peterson (c.1758-1838)

County of Caswell & State of North Carolina

On __ day of July 1830 Personally appeared in the County Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions for the County of Caswell the same being a Court of Record expressly so constituted by an act of the General Assembly passed in the year 1777 and possessing all the attributes belonging to such court in & for the County aforesaid James Peterson a resident in said County aged about seventy-two years who being first duly sworn on the Holy Gospel of God doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the provision made by the Acts of Congress of the 18th March 1818 and the 1st of May 1820.

That the said James Peterson enlisted for the term of 2 years & 6 months on or about the first of March 1776 in the County of Caswell [sic, then Orange County] & State of North Carolina, the company commanded by Captain Archibald Lytle in the Regiment commanded by Colonel __ Taylor in the Line of North Carolina on Continental establishment. That he continued to serve in the said Corps until about the month of September 1778 when he was discharged from the service at Wilmington in the State of North Carolina.


That he hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension except the present. That his name is not on the roll of any State except North Carolina & that the following all the reasons for not making earlier application for a pension. That is that this declarant was ignorant of the provisions made by law for the soldiers of the revolution until about 3 or 4 months previous to the filing of this declaration & that he has been making use of since that time every effort in his power to obtain the provision. And in pursuance of the act of the first of May 1820, I do solemnly swear that I was a resident Citizen of the United States on the 18th day of March 1818 and that I have not since that time by gift, sale or in any manner whatever disposed of my property or any part thereof with intent thereby so to diminish it as to bring myself within the provision of an act of Congress entitled "an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and naval service of the United States in the revolutionary war" passed on the 18th day of March 1818, and that I have not nor has any person in trust for me any property, or securities, contracts or debts due to me nor have I any income other than what is contained in the schedule hereto annexed and by me subscribed to wit my entire property consist of one feather Bed & its necessary furniture one weaving loom -- my occupation is that of a planter and from age and infirmity I am unable by my labor to procure a support: My family consists of 5 persons viz. My wife aged about 60 my daughter Sarah aged about 35 years my daughter Fanny aged about 30; my daughter Betsey aged about 28 and my daughter Leathey aged about 20 years

Since the 18th of March 1818 the following changes have been made in my property viz. at that time I was in possession of a tract of land on Country Line Creek adjoining Stephen Kitchen, John Johnston & others, another tract of land on Country Line Creek adjoining Charles D. Donoho, John Peterson & others and the following Negro slaves (viz.) Phebe, Amy, Sarah, Frank -- which property has been disposed of in the following manner. Having become security some time about the year 1818 for my son William Peterson for $1200 on a bond which we executed to Major James Holder of Milton & my son being unable to pay said some I sold to the said James Holder in discharge of said debt the tract of land on Country Line Creek which adjoined Stephen Kitchen John Johnston & others containing 236 acres & the other tract of land adjoining Charles D. Donoho, John Peterson & others was sold under a trust which I gave to secure one Thomas D. Johnston for money paid by him to the bank of New Bern as my security a copy of said trust is hereto appended & Marked A. The Negro woman named Pheby was sold by an execution in favor of William Lea by Thomas Lea a Deputy Sheriff for the sum of $77 & __ Cents towards the discharge of several bonds I had given said William Lea for money he lent me. My Negro woman named Sarah I sold to one Asa Gunn who has removed to the State of Tennessee for the sum of $475 in order to pay George Williamson & Nathaniel Lea a debt which I owed them for merchandise and to Romulus Sanders for land I purchased of him. My Negro fellow called Frank I sold for the sum of $325 to John Poteat [John Poteet] in order to pay one Abner Walker for money borrowed of said Walker.

S/ James Peterson, X his mark

Subscribed & sworn to in open Court this 13th of July 1830
S/ Paul A. Haralson, Clerk

North Carolina Caswell County} on the 10th day of May 1831 personally appeared in open court the same being a Court of record Hastin Bartlett who being duly sworn according to law deposeth and saith that he has long known James Peterson of Caswell County North Carolina that he served with said Peterson as a soldier in the revolutionary war & of the North Carolina line upon the Continental establishment for 2 years and 6 months agreeably to the terms of his Enlistment. That he was under the command of Archibald Lytle of the 6th Regiment commanded by Colonel Taylor.

Sworn in open court
S/ Hastin Bartlett
S/ Jeremiah Graves, C. S. C. [Clerk Superior Court]

Samuel Stephens being sworn in open Court deposeth and saith that he was well acquainted with James Peterson during the revolutionary war -- That he knows that said Peterson enlisted and served for 2 years and 6 months in the North Carolina Regiment on the Continental establishment during the war of the revolution under the command of Captain Archibald Lytle --


No comments:

Post a Comment