Milton History: John J. Oliver's Tavern
We know, and have discussed here, there was a Bell Tavern on Lot #18 (north side of Main Street) where the Thomas Store later was built. However, it appears that Milton had more than one tavern in the early 1800s.
The second tavern was John J. Oliver's Tavern on the south side of Main Street beside Lot #12. This appears to be on the west end of Main Street -- either on the lot immediately west of the lot that today is the site of the Milton Presbyterian Church or the lot that today houses the Milton Women's Club (former Episcopal Church).
The first record set forth below contains a reference to John J. Oliver's Tavern, and the second conveyance helps, although indirectly, locate the tavern on the south side of Main Street.
Deed Book T, Page 279/Kendall #2 at 41
Thomas Dix of Henry County, Virginia to Henry M. Clay and R. M. Sanders of Caswell County, for $500 part of lot 12 with tenement on Main Street in Milton adjacent John J. Oliver's Tavern. 15 March 1820. Wit: Joseph McGehee, B. M. Oliver.
Deed Book T, Page 280/Kendall #2 at 42
Henry M. Clay of Milton to Thomas Dix of Henry County, Virginia, a certain tenement on the south side of Main Street in Milton adjacent to lot #12. 15 March 1820. Witnesses: Joseph McGehee, B. M. Oliver.