Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bartlett Yancey JV Football Team 1960s


Left-to-Right

Bottom Row: #14 Drew Chandler; #15 Brad Webster; #10 Jimmy White; #12 Jeff Reynolds; #33 Frank Moorefield, Jr.

Middle Row: Logan Denton (Coach); #21 Al Lassiter; #34 Unidentified; #11 Harold Williamson; #20 Keith Barts; #23 Kent Cobb.

Top Row: Coach Unidentified; #26 William Tatum; #24 Charles Walker; #22 Donnie Carter; #35 Abner Hall; #36 Unknown Gosney.
______________

To see a larger version of the photograph click Here.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Caswell County (North Carolina) Civil War Groups

"The Caswell Boys," Company H, 6th Regiment N.C. State Troops
"The Caswell Rangers," Company C, 41st Regiment N.C. Troops (3rd Regiment N.C. Cavalry)
"The Caswell Rifles," Company G, 22nd Regiment N.C. Troops (12th Regiment N.C. Volunteers)
"The Leasburg Grays," Company D, 13th Regiment N.C. Troops (3rd Regiment N.C. Volunteers)
"The Leasburg Guards," Company D, 13th Regiment N.C. Troops (3rd Regiment N.C. Volunteers): Possibly the same as the Leasburg Grays.
"The Milton Blues," Company C, 13th Regiment N.C. Troops (3rd Regiment N.C. Volunteers)

A Note on North Carolina Military Nomenclature, 1861-1865: A law enacted on May 8, 1861, authorized ten regiments of "State Troops," whose term of service was to be three years or the duration of the war. James Green Martin, who had recently resigned as a major in the United States Army, was appointed adjutant general of that body of troops. Meantime, state Adjutant General John F. Hoke accepted volunteer regiments, with enlistments of six or twelve months, under exiting laws. By summer 1861 fourteen volunteer regiments and several "State Troops" regiments had completed their organization. Both types of regiments were permitted to to begin their series of line numbers with a "1." Thus, there were in existence at the same time, for example, a "2nd Regiment North Carolina Volunteers and a "2nd Regiment North Carolina State Troops," both of which were casually referred to as the "2nd North Carolina." The dual system of numbering proved to be a source of confusion, particularly among officials of the Confederate government in Richmond. A decision was reached to permit the "State Troops" regiments to retain their line numbers but to add 10 to the line numbers of the fourteen volunteer regiments. Thus the "2nd Regiment North Carolina Volunteers" became the "12th Regiment North Carolina Troops," and so forth. Beginning with the 25th Regiment, all new regiments were numbered in sequence, and with the reorganization of the volunteer regiments for the duration of the war in the spring of 1862, the distinction between "Volunteer" and "State Troop" regiments became moot. Compounding the above confusion, was the practice of numbering artillery and cavalry regiments within their branch of service in addition to their regular line number. For example, the "41st Regiment North Carolina Troops" was informally (but commonly) known as the "3rd Regiment North Carolina Cavalry"; an artillery example is the "40th Regiment North Carolina Troops" which was the "3rd Regiment North Carolina Artillery." In apparent contradiction to the above, the numbering system for North Carolina battalions did not vary by branch of service, examples: "2nd Battalion North Carolina Infantry"; "3rd Battalion North Carolina Light Artillery"; "5th Battalion North Carolina Cavalry." When the parent organization of any of the companies listed below served under two names, the most common name of the parent organization is listed and the second name provided in parentheses.

A Note on Sources: The vast majority of the local designations were taken from the sixteen volumes (to date) of North Carolina Troops, so anyone who owns or has access to them will have almost all of the information contained herein.

Thomas Day: Architecture and Furniture

Houses and Other Structures Mentioned in Thomas Day: Master Craftsman and Free Man of Color, Patricia Phillips Marshall and Jo Ramsay Leimenstoll (2010) (partial list):

1. Aspen Hall Plantation

Aspen Hall near Pittsboro, Chatham County, North Carolina was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Alston family of Chatham County, North Carolina; at least one furniture item, a mahogany rocking chair.




2. Badgett-Gatewood House

Badgett-Gatewood House (built c. 1855): Photo 270. Badgett House (Pelham Township, Caswell County, North Carolina). Early 19th century, ca. 1855. 1.5-story frame Federal style house with exterior-end stuccoed chimney, 9/9 sash, built for William Badgett. Overbuilt with addition of Greek Revival Boom Era House ca. 1855 by Henry Badgett. This section has a hip roof, exterior end chimneys, a double door with a fretwork surround and a pedimented Doric entrance porch. Front and side stone steps have scroll ornament at corner of bottom step which is unique to this section of county. Fine Federal-style dairy. An Inventory of Historic Architecture: Caswell County, North Carolina, Ruth Little-Stokes and Tony P. Wrenn (1979).

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sarah L. Smith Portrait

North Carolina Portrait of a Lady with Exaggerated Puffy Sleeves

Oil on canvas, wearing a large lace bonnet with blue ribbon, prominent gold and jet jewelry, and holding a red book, inscribed "Mrs. Sarah L. Smith / March 1836 / W(?) B Chapin Pinxit" on canvas verso. Original mahogany frame with brass hanger. 1836. 31 1/2" x 26 1/2" sight, 38 1/2" x 33 1/2" overall. Painting in excellent visual condition, no apparent punctures or tears, professional restoration including new stretchers and in-painting. Frame in excellent condition.

Provenance: Property of a Smith/Graves family descendent.

By descent: Sarah L. Smith (born c. 1800); to her sister-in-law Susan F. Smith Thornton (b. 1818); to her daughter Donna R. Thornton, married Jeremiah Graves, Jr. (b. 1835) in Caswell County, North Carolina, on June 13, 1860; to her son Robert Sterling Graves (b. 1870) and daughter Sallie W. Graves (b. 1880); to the current owner.

Catalogue Note: Sarah L. Smith (born c. 1800), widow of Samuel C. Smith, inherited 131 acres of land from her husband's estate in 1834. The land was located in Caswell County, North Carolina "on the road from Red House to Milton" which is near the Virginia state line. Samuel Smith also bequeathed part of his land holdings to his sister, Susan F. Smith Thornton, wife of Dr. Robert B. Thornton of Milton, North Carolina. The 1850 Federal census recorded the Thorntons as close neighbors of African-American cabinetmaker Thomas Day.

Beginning around 1860 this portrait hung in "Dongola," the circa 1835 Antebellum brick mansion built by tobacco planter Jeremiah Graves in Yanceyville, Caswell County, North Carolina. The current owner remembers the portrait hanging in the home prior to it coming into her possession.

Sales Price: $1,995
Sales Date: 25 June 2011
Auction House: Jeffrey S. Evans & Associates (2177 Green Valley Lane, Mt. Crawford, Virginia).
_______________

Photograph courtesy of Jeffrey S. Evans & Associates.

Saturday, July 09, 2011

Valentine Wedding: Alberta Lunsford and William Satterwhite

Valentine Wedding Planned for Elderly Leasburg Couple
By Cyndy Webster, Staff Writer
The Caswell Messenger, February 1993

Love cures people--both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it. February 14, marks a day for expressing one's love for one another. A day for giving cards, candy, and memorable moments. Alberta "Bert" Lunsford and William "Bill" Satterwhite have chosen this special day, like many do, to exchange wedding vows. What makes them special you ask? Well, Bert is 83 and Bill is 78. Yes, it's a love story. You could even find it in True Romance.

Bert married Gilbert Lunsford when she was sixteen. They had four daughters and one son, and lived happily in the Leasburg Community for 56 years. During this time their children grew, married, moved, and had children of their own (and their children had children). Gilbert died, leaving Bert to carry on with her life.

Bill married Louise, Bert's niece, and they had a wonderful life together for 36 years in McLean, Virginia. As they grew older, Louise's health began failing, and Bill cared for her until her death. They had no children. After Louise died, Bill decided to visit Bert in Leasburg. While he was there he told her of a secret he had kept for 35 years. Bill said, "I've always loved you. I've loved you since the first time I saw you." After all of these years he never told anyone because he was married and because Bert was married and had children.

Thursday, July 07, 2011

Locust Hill United Methodist Church

Locust Hill United Methodist Church is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year. Mrs. Lelia Williamson, a charter member, wrote a history for The Caswell Messenger in 1935:

Rev. Rowe was a Methodist circuit rider who, after the death of his wife, decided to go back to is native home in Missouri. He left a deed to Dr. James Williamson for one acre of land, which he owned near the Bethesda Presbyterian Church (at the time called Jack’s Fork) to be used as a site upon which to build a Methodist church. In 1884, a group of Methodists living in Locust Hill, to whom the property was given, decided this was not the proper location for a church. After cutting off the timber on the land, they sold the lot to Stephen Siddle for $100. This money was used to buy materials for the new Locust Hill Church. Sunday School was then being held in the old Stephen Neal storehouse, which was owned by J. B. Worsham (and later by Herbert White in 1946). There was a large oak tree under which an arbor was erected, and slabs brought in to make seats.

Yanceyville Presbyterian Church Homecoming

The Rev. Dr. Robert S. Ledbetter of Murrells Inlet, SC, will be guest preacher at a Homecoming service at Yanceyville Presbyterian Church on Sunday, September 30, 2007, at 10:30 AM. His sermon is entitled The Ponce de Leon Anxiety. the same sermon he preached on his first Sunday in Yanceyville in 1966. His wife, Julia K. Ledbetter, will be soloist at the service. Members, former members, and friends are invited to the gathering at Yanceyville Presbyterian. A luncheon will be served in Bason Fellowship Hall following the worship service which begins at 10:30 am. For additional information, phone 694-4145.